Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163
Uploads: 0

Continued from my earlier report

19th Oct 1942
BE65
11:49
Distant merchant sound contact,heading roughly NE.Unable to attack in rough seas with all torpedoes expended.Attempting to intercept in order to radio position of contact to HQ.
12:00
Contact bearing 25 degrees,moving slow.Vis. I estimate between 300 and 500m
12:09
Vis. too poor,making hardly any ground on the contact who seems to be getting no closer.Breaking off due to very low fuel and poor chances of spotting target.Remaining on the surface in order to ride with the storm
two hours have elapsed since original contact was made,absolutely futile to re-attempt an interception in these conditions.
15:27
Radar signals detected in our area,crash dived to 100m.Unable at the moment to tell what or where the signals were from.Will surface in 1-2 hrs.
Quick sound check confirms a DD is in our area at a bearing of 80 degrees,and closing.
16:30
1 hr elapsed sm.No sounds in the area,DD has passed us by,preparing to surface.
20:45
BE65
Weather,no change.
Approx 1300km to go,about 3 days at this rate.
ETA- 22nd-23rd Oct.
20th
Day 40
No sightings of anything.
Weather,no change.
21st
Nothing,no change.
22nd
BF54
No change.
Approx 500km to go.
23rd
Day 43
BF64
176km away,11hrs.
Safe to assume we are now in safe waters.Storm did in fact shield us all the way across the bay of biscay as hoped,not one aircraft sighted anywhere.
ETA- 11:00-12:00
04:55
Passing 'Noir something' island west of France.
Report sent in of our imminent arrival.
Vis.reduced to about 300m,can just make out the glare of the lighthouses ahead.
11:07
Arrived in port.

Tonnage
1 S.Merchant (British)
1 T3 (American)
1 Troop Transport (American)
1 C3 (British)
7 Hurricane fighter planes
Total
28.116t

Damage/casualties
2 watchmen dead from machine gun fire in an air attack at the beginning of the patrol.Service was held at sea and they were committed to the depths with heavy hearts.Families being notified.
No damage to U-Boat
Renown
Total remown
Medals
I recieved the Iron Cross 1st class and a U-boat Badge
Promotions
Diesels Officer to be promoted to C.S.W.O.He worked like a bloody trojan on this patrol!.
Quals
I sent for a WO to have extensive training in operating all manner of radio equipment aboard a U-Boat.His dedicated post will now free up our sonar man,as switching between jobs earlier was becoming time consuming and reducing our efficiency.I suspect shifting priority towards radio equipment/radar etc at this time becoming ever more important,as allied radar is slowly becoming more consistent at sea and the increased air attacks were devastating.

Last edited by Paul Riley; 04-28-09 at 02:47 PM.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote