View Single Post
Old 01-26-20, 01:24 PM   #51
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your observations, John. Yes, a good repair crew is vital. I have four or five POs qualified for repair, as well as trying to have my officers have a repair qualification. I also add a few seamen to the repair crew as "tool haulers" to help fill out the green bar.

Yeah, taking on aircraft is suicidal. You can shoot down planes all day, but all you need is them to get lucky once and you are a goner.

I just got to Bergen after sticking it out. I tended to stay down longer after an aircraft alert. As well, it being December 1944 I had a lot of bad weather, which seems to have the effect of grounding most planes or, if the game models it, reducing their radar effectiveness.

I agree, the number of planes in one group on random searches is ridiculous. I have a hard time believing, for example, that Sunderlands were so numerous in supply that they flew them in groups of six or eight planes as is common in the game. The Allies had only 20 VLR Liberators on ASW patrol, but I routinely see them in groups of four.

Anyhow, going to try to stick it out until May 1945, then perhaps go back to GWX or try NYGM. Thanks for your help and advice.