View Single Post
Old 02-20-09, 10:08 AM   #26
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought
Admittedly my dial-up is really bad, but autopatching is more the concern with dial-up. I usually go someplace else to download anything over 10 MB.
I know what you're talking about. Back when I had dial-up, I had to go into town periodically to get big downloads off a hotspot.

Our autopatching really isn't that big a deal even for dial-up, however.

First off, it's not really automatic, it's optional. The automatic part is that the game always checks if there's a patch available, but then it asks you if you want to download it. If you say "no", the game will still work just fine, but of course won't have whatever fixes are in the patch. The game will ask you again if you want the patch next time you run it, so saying "no" isn't forever.

Second, the vast majority of our autopatches are only 1-2 megs. Even my old 23.6K dial-up could get them in the time it took me to pump bilges and get another beer. Only on very rare occasions is one of our patches even 10 megs. When one of these came along, I would decline it to start with and then download it overnight.

So really, the only thing dial-up can't handle is the initial download. The RJW game is about 350 megs and Jutland is about 620. But these are installers, so you can get them at a hotspot on your laptop, then copy them to and install them on your desktop when you get home. After that, the desktop's dial-up can handle the autopatching.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote