View Single Post
Old 02-15-09, 11:03 AM   #22
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought
Let me quantify that, to someone still using a dial-up connection SES DRM/patching is worse than a game having starforce. At least with starforce I could still play Enigma Rising Tide, that is until I had to reformat and throw away my cdrw. Steam is just as bad to me. FWIW
Apart from making the patches take longer to download, how does dial-up make things worse? All you have to do make contact at the start of the game, you don't have to maintain it during the game. And as mentioned above, you don't even need to make contact at all for days at a time, with no ill effects.

Dial-up is perfectly adequate for the game phoning home. Bandwidth matters not a bit for that; all it has to do is make contact. Seriously, doesn't your telephone work just fine for vox?

I myself live way out in the boonies so only have broadband via satellite, and I only got that about a year ago. Thus, much of my work on Jutland, and everything I did with the RJW game, was over dial-up. This never caused me any problems other than the long time required to download files. And because I have a development build, my DRM is WAY harsher than the retail version. In fact, dial-up in my experience is far more reliable at making contact than satellite, it's just way slower when it comes to downloads.

So I'm somewhat at a loss to know why you think our DRM won't work for you because you've got dial-up. That certainly doesn't match my own observations.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote