View Single Post
Old 01-08-22, 12:52 PM   #39
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
... are moved and turned automatically by Wings3D during the UV-mapping process, in order to save space probably.
@ Mister_M

I have re-read your post more carefully, and I think I know what do you mean. Wings3D scales, turns and arranges UV regions so to keep their relative proportions and so to maximize their size relative to the texture space. This probably happens because you UV mapped the whole model at once.
You can straighten up UV region separately. To do so select one of the edges that you want to be perfectly horizontal/vertical, right click and choose 'Turn', followed by either 'Chart to X' or 'Chart to Y'.
Wings3D can't automatically arrange different UV regions (in our case hull and superstructure sides) according to their relative arrangement in an orthogonal projection, but you can do that manually. Just pick up a plan of your ship (side elevation), preferably the one that your model is based on, make it square in raster graphic program and use it as your model's texture.
After doing that, you can scale/arrange your UV map so that each part will match perfectly its desired position on the ship plan
gap is offline   Reply With Quote