View Single Post
Old 04-27-09, 11:14 PM   #27
Brer Rabbit
Briar Patch Runner

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default And BDU is really Pissed

Looks like I'm off to the Briar Patch when I get home. On my third patrol of my fiest GWX3 career; it is late Oct 39. So Ijust completed my assigned patrol area, north of England, heading south to see if there are any jucy pickins near the western entrance to the channel. Lo and behold the watch spots a jucy large merchant heading NE towards NW england just noth of Ireland. Hot damn says I lets gitter done, and off we go at high speed to get ahead of her. She is traveling at 10Kns so I'm not sparing the horses.
I drew my anticipated course of the ship and placed myself at a 90 degree approach to it with a 90 deg starboard AOB. I submerged rubbing my hands with glee. Heh heh this sucker is going down.
Sonar reports the contact, I have him follow the contact----WTF his course has change and he is on a line of travel that will place him 5000 meters to my stern. No problemo, quick u-turn, flank speed still 90 degree approach but with a port AOB - change AOB entry, keep closing the distance. Alright looks like a good setup. Range 3200 m. AOB port 85 deg. Target large Granville freighter. Fire tube one. Off she goes. I decided that because this was the longest shot That I have attempted, I was going to use only one torp. and dawn was fast approaching and I was approaching shallower water. KAAABOOOM hit right under the stack, freighter slows to a stop with black smoke billowing out of the stern cargo areas. Quick surface and give the "Koop de grass" using the deck gun. Five rounds and down she goes. Submerge return to course and head out of the area, celebrating wildly every one slapping backs and cheering.
Turns out it was a neutral ship. Upon reflection the course change of the target changed its course from towards NW England to Londonderry.
I just hope I can sink enough real targets to make up for this fau paux.

I'd better go back and reread the posts and cautions to make sure of your targer before you punch the button

OH Well
Brer Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote