View Single Post
Old 05-26-07, 02:28 PM   #29
MudMarine
Loader

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
stadimeter and ranging

Skippers,
I know we are looking for exact range but is it realistic? I made a copy of Submarine Torpedo Manual, Dated May 1950.

From Page 31 of Manual, section 5-7
(h) The following points should be kept in mind in height determinations:

(1) Masthead heights may be purposely altered by enemy to cause inaccuracies in periscope range.

(2) Tops of the mast may be camouflaged in such manner as to be invisible under average visibility conditions at any except short range.

(3) Funnel height is normally sufficient to insure thats smoke which is blown in direction of the bridge by a tail wind will pass well over the bridge.

(4) Coal burners require taller funnels to insure adequate draft.

(5) Funnels of modern vessels having forced draft do not require as tall a funnel as older vessels without forced draft.

(6) Diesel propelled ships require no draft. Funnels are normally short, are not required, and generally have such dimenstions as to provide a good appearance on the ship.

Regardless of the methods employed by individual Approach Officer, skill in estimating masthead heights, and the ability of to obtain accurate ranges can be acquired and maintained onlyby constant practice. Even when radar ranges are available during an approach the Approach Officer should also obtain telemeter ranges as a means of improving and maintaining his skill.

From reading this I find that those sub skippers in WWII had a problem with range determination also. It was only with the advent of good radar and the telemeter that accurate ranges could be determined in 1950. So fine tuning things that accuracy for this simulation realy making it 100% reallistic.

*****Semper Fidela's*********

MudMarine,
USMC 1972-1985 Aviation
MudMarine is offline   Reply With Quote