View Single Post
Old 03-10-20, 10:53 PM   #201
AzureSkies
Blue Water Dev

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martes View Post
The ensign regulations are confusing and different for various navies, but as a general rule the ensign on the stern and the jack are flown only on anchored ships in harbor and only in daytime, while underway they either show no ensign at all or fly it from the mast.

BTW, I will duplicate what I have written in Sea Power thread - since it's as relevant here - Will there be any options for non-combat interactions? Like capturing/inspecting/redirecting neutral or suspicious ships, picking up survivors from ships damaged or sunk, downed pilots, etc? When trying to play in heavily modified Cold Waters with a surface ship I encountered a reoccurring problem of damaged subs that blow it and surface, and straightly killing them feels wrong from all perspectives - and unlike a submarine you can't just ignore them.
Thanks for the input - I'm looking over many reference photographs again with this awareness and notice it now. It'd be a shot in the dark, but perhaps they fly the flag from the mast if they're a flagship for the Soviet navy, and if they're a formation/group leader for the USN? It's either that, something close to it, or even more circumstantial it looks like.

And yes. One of the reasons I chose the Sverdlov as one of these first few ships is because it offers a variety of gameplay experience. Pure combat can get a bit repetitive, so operations like that have been a plan from the very start, specifically with ships and aircraft leaving behind survivors to pick up.

Also it's an annoying and old trope in games that enemies never surrender. Zateyev may refuse help from USN warships during peacetime, but WWII U-boat incidents are probably a better reference for wartime encounters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbla View Post
Sorry to ask, but will this be released this year? My credit card is waiting.
I sure hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor_341 View Post
What is your current intentions for the campaign, insofar as the backstory and objectives? If the first area of operations is going to be the Black Sea and the Med, is something along the lines of this to be expected (Operations in the Black Sea and Bosporus)?

http://northernfury.us/blog/post24/

Cheers,

Raptor341
The premise is a Soviet pre-emptive strike, believing that Able Archer 83 was a cover-up for a NATO first strike. As such, the Soviets would be making a limited counterforce strike around November 7th-10th, 1983.

At that time, there were two carriers operating in the Mediterranean, off Beirut, to support operations in Lebanon: CV-67 USS John F. Kennedy (only ship of her class, a non-nuclear Kitty Hawk variant) and CVN-69 USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (Nimitz-class). Notably, the USS New Jersey was also present at the time, and the only Iowa-class active until the USS Iowa was recommissioned on the 28th of April '84.

November 7th would be barely a week after the end of Operation Urgent Fury. With the distance involved, and the USS Independence arriving off Beirut on November 18-20, The CV-62 USS Independence (Forrestal-class) would've been underway somewhere in the mid-Atlantic en route to the Mediterranean.

It seems at the time the Slava was probably in port in the Black Sea, judging by US National Archive photographs showing it deploying to the "Northern Fleet Area" in August, and more photographs of it taken in the Mediterranean in September.

So that's the setup. Given the presence of USN Carriers in the Mediterranean and their immediate ability to launch nuclear attacks, as well as their strategic importance in a conventional war, they would make tempting targets for the opening salvos.

Campaign is awhile off, but one of my biggest aims with it is to make it highly fluid, with the player's actions having significant consequences beyond mere success and failure, with many possible branching storyline paths based on decisions made during normal gameplay, such as effectiveness/losses, success, and ruthlessness.
AzureSkies is offline   Reply With Quote