Old 01-23-20, 02:48 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Cans don't really last that long ...

If the can is in good shape, it does its purpose, and lvie slogner than a human'S lifetime. They found bread in cans in shipwrecks older than 100 years - and microbiological analysis showed it to be free of germs and funghi or anything. They said the taste suffered a bot, so did the looks, it wa smroe pale n lokks and taste dnot as fresh anymore, but was fully consummable. The nutrition value had not suffered compared to freshly conswerved bread.

I have plenty of various cans, a few cheap and ordinary ones from the supermarket for exmaple containing mostly "Sauerbraten" and "Gulasch" of a brand that showed to offer very good content-for-value-ratios, and many specially manufactured and more expensive cans for emergency long time storage. Their lifetime is given for legal reasons only (2 yearsd and 10 years), in fact is pretty much "infinite", if manufactured right (thats why in several Asian countries they have no date stamped on the cans at all, it makes no difference). The difference is that such cans are of thicker wall diameter, and more care gets spent on the cannigbn process and hygiencics, to avoid ifnestation of the content. These cans are immune to corrosion as long as not being dented or deformated. Food supplies of the B undeswehr sometimes get siold this way, dating back to the 80s. Whether the food always is delicous is somethings different (I found 2 in 3 dishes being anythign but pleasant, but some actually are really good).

Plastic is ifnerior, due to its vulneraiblity to UV radiation, easier punctuation and possiblke chemcial degeneration and agents escaping into the food. If using plastic bags, then it should be special multi-component, multi-layered

films containing metal film as well. Oridnary household vacuum sealing film is not what I would trust for more than 1-2 years, if my life depends on it.

The best we know, is a good can. Its also the only one that is proven over several decades. And this although back in past days the metla use dinc ans indeed was vuklnerable to corrision, as you mentioned. The point is: for modern, good can quality this hold no more truth anymore!

Else, I recommend millet, also in cans. I tastes well, is rich in nutrition value, easy to process both in sweet and hearty dishes, and very diverse in use. For many centuries, it was the by far most imopriotant grain to feed the masses across Europe, and abroad. I absolutely regret that it has almost completely lost any relevance in the West, does not get farmed in the West anymore (its mostly imported form china now), and is more valuklable than oats, corn, wheat, barley or meadow barley. I find it more delicious than Amaranth or Quinoa, or ordinary rice. Its easy to cook, and easy handling is what you look for in emergency food. Millet is my personal super-grain, not just for prepping, but in ordinary cooking as well. It has replaced rice for me almost completely. My preference for it reflects the historic dominant importance it once has had.

When I have my "fish day", I only have three different types of grilled fish (salmon, thuna steak, catfish) in three different sauces, and pure millet with a few drips of rosted oil, may it be walnut oil or seasam oil. Wonderful!