View Single Post
Old 04-16-14, 06:37 PM   #7
G7eT2
Watch

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 2

Thanks for your comments GlobalExplorer.

I agree with you about the u-boat crush depths sometimes being unrealistic, and will try to give some explanation of the crushing behaviour in the mod.

Unfortunately the game engine only allows you to set the depth at which the u-boat begins to crush and the rate at which the damage occurs.

Ideally the game engine would also let you set a depth at which the hull fails instantly, but it does not.

In the mod I set the rate at which damage occurs so that you have a couple of minutes to try to ascend to a safer depth once you realise that you are taking damage.
Unfortunately if the u-boat is sinking fast this couple of minutes allows it to reach unrealistic depths, such as 360m, before the hull fails completely.
In making the mod I had to choose between having the hull fail quickly, which keeps the depth at which failure occurs within a smaller range, or having the hull fail more slowly which may give time to reach a shallower depth and survive. I think the second option is more fun as it allows for tense moments as the the crew takes action to try to save the boat. If the unrealistically deep hull failures, which sometimes occur as a result, are driving you nuts you might want to mod the mod as described below.

If you want to modify the crushing behaviour you can use Silent 3ditor to change the file :

Mods/U-boat Dynamics v1.1 for SH4 OM/Data/Submarine/NSS_Uboat7c/NSS_Uboat7c.zon ColisionableObject

and change the values for CrashDepth and CrashSpeed.

The CrashDepth value can be set so that:

CrashDepth x 0.7 = the depth at which the u-boat begins to take damage

The CrashSpeed value can be set closer to the Hit_Points value for a faster rate of damage.

You can also use notepad to make a change in the file:

Mods/U-boat Dynamics v1.1 for SH4 OM/Data/Submarine/NSS_Uboat7c/NSS_Uboat7c.CFG

[Properties]
MaxDepth=XXX;meters

This value sets the position of the red line on the depth gauge, and the depth at which you receive a warning, and the depth that the self preserving planesmen are reluctant to exceed.

With regards to your post about the 7c41_fixed_opmonsun mod on the download page, if you enable that mod first with JSGME and then U-boat dynamics after it both should work.

Good luck

Last edited by G7eT2; 04-19-14 at 02:47 AM.
G7eT2 is offline   Reply With Quote