View Single Post
Old 04-17-19, 02:38 PM   #35
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default some early observations

nihilcat,
I've played sub sim games since Silent Service in 1980's and I still enjoy Silent Hunter 3, best sub sim ever, played since mid 2000's.

I eagerly wait for your UBoat release and I've recently watched several Youtube posters demonstrate the pre-release.

A few early comments from my obsevations:

1) flags on freighters seem to fly forward where I think they should be streaming rearward (opposite of ship's direction). Looks odd to me.

2) torpedo loading is way too fast, SH3 in a realistic mode loads one per 7-12 minutes depending on crew efficiency. T1 steam torpedo can be set faster than the T2 electric and could travel farther, both capable of magnetic detonation under a ships keel, but speed & torpedo running depth are not factored in. I do like how you flood the tubes and preheat the T2's, nice touch.

3) 8.8 deck gun loads and fires too rapidly as well. A well trained crew might be able to fire up to 10-12 rounds per minute.

4) the observation periscope seems to be manned by a crewman nearly 100% of the time when submerged. Scopes were rarely manned & used and only when tracking pray and then only briefly. A raised scope limits underwater speed to 5-knots max. due to vibration and resulting damage, as well as enemy detection. Having 2 scopes sticking out above sea level is something I don't think one would ever see.

Looking forward to the release; it's obvious that a lot of thought and consideration has gone into this game so far.