Old 06-15-11, 03:31 AM   #59
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces View Post
My pleasure my friend,

For those with an interest in such things, this is how it works. Each of the original turm models has a "sub object" in the 3d model which consists of a square shaped flat surface positioned either side of the turm, sort of like a board bolted on either side. This object accepts a texture determined by the value of "cfg#E01" which is written in the boats equipment file once you have chosen an emblem. So, if you choose one of the "normal" square TGA emblem files then the name of the file is written to the equipment file and used as the value of "cfg#E01" and thus displayed in the game. If you open any of the turm files in S3ditor etc. eg. the 9c-1 turm, then you will see that the 3d model labelled "Turm9c_1_coning9c_High" in this example has just such a black square area either side of the tower. As I mentioned in my previous posting, black = transparent so if you don 't choose an emblem then these square areas remain invisible.

You can see one of the two black "squares" on the side of the turm in the picture below near the green navigation light.

Now for the clever stuff, rather than just be restricted to just the square-shaped sub objects Privateer very cleverly replaced this sub-object with a new one which is shaped like the whole of the outside of the turm, it fits like a skin on top of the turm. The rest operates in exactly the same way as described eg. the "cfg#E01" graphic is now displayed on the new sub-object. This is clever because everything remains the same in the method for choosing emblems and displaying them.

Compare the above picture with the one below of the same turm but with Privateer's object, you will see how you have a much greater area to display your emblem graphics. You can see that if you choose one of the "old style" game emblems which are designed to be displayed in the black area shown in the first picture than it will now be displayed in the black area shown in the picture below and thus the old emblems are not compatible.

I used pretty much the same technique to add the engine grills to the type 9c1 turms, eg. a new sub-object of the back/sides of the wintergarten end of the turm (which in the case of the turm emblems your way versions "fits" between the turm sub-object and privateer's sub-object) and a new graphic of the grills but instead of a user selected config item I used a texture with alpha channel transparency. I've also done the same with the emblems displayed on the docked type 7 subs in my Super Pens mod, eg. the same emblem files but with alpha transparency rather than a black background as they don't use any player-selected config items and thus need to have "hard-wired" transparency. I was very excited when I first saw Privateer's "Turm Emblems Your Way" and, when I first started work on what was to become the Super Turms project it was a "must have" to be incorporated with the other mods that altered the type 7c-1 turm dat file such as Anvart's and Flakmonkey's work with the DF Antenna/Flags, Pennants, exterior lightmaps, twisty periscope etc.. A while back I was bemoaning to myself the fact that I could enjoy the new emblems and only the new emblems or the new lightmaps and only the new lightmaps or the DF antenna, flags, pennant on their own etc., that's why I wanted to try and bring them all together in the first place so that I could enjoy the work of all these great modders at the same time.

Kind regards

Aces
Hi my Friend !

Thanks again, very, very interesting information !!!!

Best regards,
Magic