Old 04-10-20, 09:21 AM   #5588
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
It's a time zone thing. I'm up earlier.

Jeez, I wasn't aware your island was ahead in time by weeks, not hours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
I'm not a big jazz fan but I do dabble occasionally, especially the guitarists. One thing I love about jazz albums recorded in the 50's and 60's is the sound. Non of the modern digital brittleness just that pure analog sound. Very soothing in these troubed times.

I also have a bit of a liking for jazz; my hometown of San Francisco has long been a famed jazz hub; when I was a kid, my dad brought home to me one of those then new-fangled transistor radios from one of his voyages to Japan; I used to listen to the radio, hidden under my pillow in bed, and, like a lot of other kids, scour the dial to find and hear all the different kinds of music; there was one jazz station i like to listen to and that is where I first heard all those great recording by those great musicians, some who were already legends and some who soon would be...

One of the DJs on the jazz station was a guy known as Sylvester; he would later shorten his name and find fame as Sly Stone...

Another jazz guitar great, considered by many to be the 'father of Electric Guitar' is Charlie Christian. Like Hendrix, Christian burst on the music scene, produced some of the most innovative sounds and techniques in early electric guitar playing, and, like Hendrix passed away after only a few years of fame. Hendrix also cited Charlie Christian as a major influence. Christian was a member of Benny Goodman's musical enterprises, playing in both Goodman's big bands and his smaller combos. Prior to Christian, guitarist in big bands played mainly acoustic, unamplified guitars , barely being heard above the louder instruments; they also tended to play "comp" (accompaniment) in the bands, strumming chords and rarely playing lead lines, due to their low volume. Christian got his gig with Goodman due to a bit of trickery done by the great recording producer, John Hammond; Hammond had tried to get Goodman to hire Christian, but Goodman wasn't interested; it didn't help that Christian had a rather poor private audition, outside of a band setting with Goodman; the story goes that Hammond was able to get a better sort of 'audition' for Christian when he took him to a club where Goodman's big band was playing and snuck him onto the bandstand; when Charlie began to play, Goodman was at first very annoyed; Goodman even tried to sabotage Christian's playing by having his band play a number he didn't think Christian could handle, but he not only was able to keep up, he played so well and with such creativity, Goodman extended the number to about a half an hour to see just how good Christian really was; when he realized just how great a musician Christian was in a full band setting, he immediately hired him after the show and the rest is, as they say, history...

This is a shorter version of the number Goodman tried to use to trip up Christian..

<O>