Old 01-24-09, 10:20 AM   #7
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Will do. Sorry, I should have included some environmental information
It wouldn't have done much good. I'm not a programmer, either, so my tech support capability is very limited. Basically, I can just repeat what I've heard or experienced myself, and recommend reporting any problems you're having to our bug server. That goes straight to the gurus.

For furture reference, here's what I did for Jutland, so I'm better at answering stuff in these areas:
  • Made the campaign map
  • Put in all ship weapons data
  • Put in all the ship data
  • Wrote the campaigns and all the canned scenarios
  • Researched and tested the bejeezus out of everything
Quote:
My interest in Jutland comes from having played (OK, attempted to play:rotfl Avalon Hill's boardless Jutland game in the early 1970's. Then I was thinking, "Someday all this tedium will be in the hands of a computer, leaving us with the fun and learning." Looks like the day is here!
Same here, actually. That old AH Jutland was my gateway to miniatures, which led me to wanting it on a computer eventually, and here I am.

Quote:
By the way, confirmed your anti-piracy features show actual imagination and effectiveness without undue hampering of your actual customer
Thanks! You're the 1st person who's ever said anything nice about our DRM--the best we get from anybody else is that it's a necessary evil.

We really did try to make it as benign as possible and IMHO largely succeeded. It's a homebrew thing, made by Norm, so avoids most of the issues caused by the ones most folks are familiar with. However, the problems caused by the DRMs of others have left such a bad taste that many folks absolutely hate the whole idea. Thus, without even giving our product a try, they just rant and scream about the DRM.

It's funny, to me, how many DRMs people encounter every day, which cause way more problems. Your cell phone, probably various parts of your computer, your cable or satellite TV system, all use DRMs. Many of them are quite unfriendly towards users, too, such as that on your cell phone. But the only ones people rant about are those on computer games. :hmm:

Quote:
I plugged my activation number into the evaluation copy and got my 10 minutes. That's nowhere near long enough to evaluate the simulation. A half hour would be minimum to actually get some fighting going and control some action
In the demo, the "Jutland at 1548" scenario runs for 20 minutes. This one starts the moment the opposing BCs opened fire, and has both battlefleets on the map. Thus, you can fight pretty much all of the Run to the South, deploy the Grand Fleet from columns to line, and take a look at many of the ship models included in the game.

Quote:
My problems were arising from Zone Alarm, popping up a permission window. The game does not let the permission request window come to the foreground. So it sits behind the game waiting for input that you cannot give.
Glad you got it running.

Quote:
You need to find a way to permit firewall permission windows to take the foreground so they can be granted permission. Otherwise a significant proportion of users will find it too complicated to get their firewalls to give the permissions the game needs. Alternately, you could have a script that users can use which would automatically configure their firewalls. My router was no problem, but for those with routers that are a problem, no such solution would work. You might put a reference to PortForward.com in your FAQ section.
Very good suggestions all. Please submit them. Go to the bug report server, where there's a box to select the category of your message. One of the options is "Suggestion".
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote