View Single Post
Old 02-09-22, 09:40 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Got the download link today while the CD is in transit now.

Installation was flawless, but old-fashioned, of course.

The game is not basing on nFlight Leader, but some simiiair game. This PC game uses a square grid, while Flight Leader used hex fields. However, game mechanics are close enough to strongly remind of FL. And the AI is quite competent. I just did, on the lowest of three levels, a little turmoil, 4 Mig-17 with cannons (me) against 2 Corsairs with missiles (AI), and the AI did what I would expect: the Corsairs tried to manouver so to avoid getting into the engagement zones of the Mig's cannons, while playing out their speed and longer weapon reach, the also used the vertical, and apparently tried formation tactics, not sure on that, needs some engagements with more planes involved to judge that)

The match is not yet decided, I furballed around so far and got one salvo off that missed, but also avoided to get a missile lock glued onto of my planes. Will continue later.

The interface is like you would expect from a windows game of 1994, with all pros and cons.

Nice: the author and company owner did not promsie too much, the game gets flawlessly installed (enforced installation to c:/), and then does some I think DOS-box related magic all by itself, you have not to hassle around with getting it to run, you double-click the desktopo icon, and you are done. Despite the low resolution of those times, the game also automatically scales to your screen's height so that you do not have to play in a tiny micro-windows where you hardly can read anything, you have a 4:3 ratio however, so black bars left and right.

If you are familiar with cosim playing, you easily adapt to the interface and the way the game plays. I am VERY happy to have found this, it scores big on my board, and really feels like a good solid old fashioned tabletop cosim, and the AI does well, apparently.

The game has an extensive database, and a mission editor.

The seller also added - for free - "Over the Reich". Still need to learn about it, I dont know it.

It seems that the game in general is held in high esteem: this review is from 2017- 23 years after release! !

https://web.archive.org/web/20200315...l-this-please/

Recommended.

Edit:
further comments and a huge database with scenarios.
https://sites.google.com/site/hagler...commander2site

2nd edit:
Over the Reich seems to be a wortyh addition, too. Its based on severla of Avalon Hill'S boardgames, and was part fo a series and direct successor to FL2. Reviews point out its great AI.

The board game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8316/over-reich

The PC game:

I would recommend to carefully check the store I linked to with Flight Leader 2, they have quite some of those old-fashioned hex cosims on offe,r and if they all work so niecely off the shelf, its time well-spend to check out what they have to offer.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-09-22 at 10:14 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote