View Single Post
Old 02-09-06, 10:11 PM   #12
GlowwormGuy
Planesman

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default modding

Modding UDFs is pretty straightforward. You can give a PT boat a 15" gun if you'd like hehehe, it's really a matter of taking note of your models and following their format. That's pretty much how all of us have learned the basics. Like badhat mentioned each weapon MUST have a unique number assigned to it. But since there are only maybe thirty or so weapon stations - and the numbers don't necessarily have to be sequential but it helps keep tabs on things - it shouldn't be too difficult to do. You can for example, number your mains in units, your secondaries in the line of ten or twenty, your AA as 51, 52, etc. and ASW as 80,81, etc.

Remember also that you're limited by the number of guns - I'm saying this because sometime you may want to model a ship with twin turrets but the best model you've found only has singles - or triples!

You can't add more gun weapons than you have nodes for - however you can have less! If you learn how to hex edit you can actually physically remove weapons. There's supposed to be a way that you can physically add weapons that some folks know but that escapes me at the moment.

Depth charges can 'generally' be added to most surface models, at least the rolled ones. Throwers which require nodes may be a bit dicier.

I'd strongly recommend you get a hold of a free hex editor program like FRHED if you want to delve into the esoteric arts of modding or to at least see the structure of the model files. There are stuff that can be changed but big changes will take software that evidently costs a truckload of dough (and may not even be available anymore) plus other stuff OR a lot of time for trial and error.

Best of luck!
Mountbatten
GlowwormGuy is offline   Reply With Quote