View Single Post
Old 03-14-11, 09:59 PM   #40
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
And in regards to Lurker, he abandoned his work if I recall correctly. Abandon your work and you forfeit it to whom wishes to continue it.
Clearly you haven't been around subsim very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limkol View Post
I love the way SH4 loads and starts so quickly and runs very stable.
It' wonderful.

Quote:
I think that it still has too much of a Pacific feel (just look at the buildings for example). It could do with being a touch more European in the harbours and along the coast.
All harbor models that existed in SH3, exist in SH4. They simply aren't being used.

Quote:
A bit more harbour life would be good.
The legacy models from SH3, allow for a drag in drop of missing animations that brought harbors to life. The nodes still exist, the resource files were removed so they don't display.

Quote:
With SH3, you could almost sense the way the war was going by the atmosphere created by the radio messages. I miss that.
Easy to mod, PITA to research and tedious to write in.

Quote:
After SH5 I feel that the SH4 u-boat is a bit limited. SH3 has open hatches and fire damage. SH5 has flooding. It would be great if these things could be modded in SH4.

When I look at the mods I use with all the SH games, SH4 is the shortest mod list.
Here's the thing. To the majority of Uboat fans, the Silent hunter series is as follows:

Silent Hunter 3 -> Silent Hunter 5

Silent Hunter 4 simply does not exist in their minds because it was primarily a fleet boat sim. Most simply do not have the desire to open their minds and try out something new. So they write the game off as non existant. What most don't realize is that the "Uboat missions" expansion, opened all the doors in SH4. In truth, it can be as much of a uboat sim, as it is a fleet boat sim. Fully rendered interiors aside, I'd argue it's two sims in one, and twice the value of SH3 or Sh5 on that premise.

But again, since it doesn't exist. Modders who focus on Uboats have either stuck to Sh3, or moved directly to SH5. Realistically, SH4's full potential will never be realized.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote