View Single Post
Old 09-05-07, 01:41 PM   #73
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

lol :hmm: ok never mind..i'm interested anyhuw...

here's an important update to both the periscope visability issue AND the sea state and animation settings...as in the end they are in fact both the same thing...

open your weather.txt (root folder)

and add the water state settings to each weather type

thusly

mgsun
{
fogenable = 0
texture = VolumeSky1.dds
rainsize = 0
rainfreq = 0
DayLightTexture = none
WaterHScale = 0.6
WaterTScale = 0.8
WaterSScale = 3

there is in fact a stock example to follow at the bottom of the stock weather.txt..

i HAD imagnied the settings refered to

HEIGHT
X width
Y length

or some such ..

but what they actualy refer to is this..

HEIGHT
SPEED
SCALE

so editing the

waterH gives you taller or shallower waves

waterT edits the speed at which the wave animations cycle thru their routine

waterS edits the over all X-Y scale of the waves....right from sharks teeth perculiar eruptions from the surface --all the way out to almost imperceptible undulations in the ocean surafce....

now back to the SCOPE visability issue.....creating large peaks and troughs in the wave pattern by taking the scale of the waves out to around 3

ie

WaterSScale = 3

and slowing the animation down to around

WaterTScale = 0.8

gives you a much greater "no-mans land" betweeen the scope being up and spotted...and it being down but you cannot see anything...
as the peaks and troughs obviously (think about it) change the height of the water surface in relation to your depth and scope height constantly....

there fore allowing you to see the ships without them seeing you....it's a very dynamic and ...realistic effect....which never plays out the same way twice......

it's im sure a stock effect (it would have to be really wouldn't it?:hmm: )

but because the stock waves are closly packed to gether there just isn't room for anything like a realsiticly scaled peak and trough to develop
hence the visability issue....
you can download the edited weather.txt from my site...tho be aware it is a beta and does have the occasional animation "jump"
which i will hopefully resolve at some point in the future....either way the sea animation is 100% improved (IMO) and you have a 100% improvement in BOTH gameplay AND realism...

anyhuw the info is here....
you should be able to cook up a wave animation set up that suits your style of gameplay realism and eye candy needs..in less time than it took me to type this dang post !!

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote