View Single Post
Old 01-03-23, 06:13 PM   #74
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Heart Attack. Not sure if it was related to the preceding play though.
Although, it's a bit premature to assume anything, those physicians connected with the care of Damar Hamlin have stated it wasn't a heart attack that took Damar down. They instead believe that his condition is connected with the impact to his chest, over his heart from a collision with wide receiver Tee Higgins.

This trauma is known as commotio cordis and is among the possible culprits. Commotio Cordis occurs when a severe blow to the chest causes the heartbeat to quiver, leading to sudden cardiac arrest. Commotio cordis is ventricular fibrillation precipitated by blunt trauma to the heart.

A Myocardial infarction or heart attack (MI) refers to tissue death of the heart muscle caused by Ischaemia, the lack of oxygen delivery to myocardial tissue generally caused by blockages and or plaque which in turn slow down or stop the flow of oxygenated blood.

Both Commotio Cordis ( Cardiac Arrest ) and a heart attack can deprive the body of oxygenation of tissue although by different mechanisms.

It has yet to be determined if Demar has a previously unknown and or undetected genetic abnormality or Injury with regards to his heart. That can all be diagnosed at a later date as Demar remains in critical condition. The next 12-24 hours is critical in his long term recovery prognosis. Right now, all efforts should be expended in keeping this young man alive which I'm sure is being done.

* As a side note, everyone should learn and know CPR. You may one day save a life with knowing CPR. My certification was renewed last year and I may do a refresher in the spring after this episode with Demar Hamlin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK526014/

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 01-03-23 at 06:27 PM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote