View Single Post
Old 08-20-19, 05:10 PM   #4552
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

With the previous post noting the 50th anniversary of Woodstock in mind, here is an iconic performance that lived on far beyond the music of the other acts and sort of became part of the post-Vietnam culture:

The very last performer was Hendrix and this instrumental, Villanova Junction, with the accompanying scenes of the festival's aftermath, is poignant:

I'm posting this video of Sha Na Na at Woodstock because they were allowed to play only by the intercession of Hendrix, who was a fan of the group, and his wish that they play before his closing performance:

...and here's the story:

I have a particular appreciation for Sha Na Na, from my days bartending at a rock club. At one point, I was worried about making my rent for the next month; a couple of before nights before rent day, three of the members of Sha Na Na, two of them being the guys in the gold lamé suits, along with a few of the band's management, came into the club; Sha Na Na wasn't exactly very high on the 'cool scale' with the patrons of the club, so they were given a bit of the cold shoulder by the denizens. I always had (and still do have) the attitude of treating people cordially unless they prove to be deserving of otherwise. They stayed for a few hours and left. As I was straightening up the bar, one of the management guys came back in and called me over to the end of the bar; he said the Sha Na Na guys appreciated the way I served them and they asked the manager to give me a good tip; the guy handed me a $100 bill, a very big tip in the mid-70s. Seeing as my rent was $125 a month at the time, my worries were over; I've have always remembered their generosity and class...

<O>