View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 07:31 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

"The circle you see around ships seems to be the max detection range."
Somebody didn't read my post. Maximum detection distance is about 175% of the ring radius.
"You can on occasion go well within that circle without being detected."
True, depends on several factors including crew quality and numbers in the sim.cfg file. Dark night heavy weather low visibility rain you can pretty much run head on into an enemy ship and he still doesn't see you. Daytime flat calm an elite crew will start dropping accurate fire on you way outside the ring.

I agree with most of Ducimus's guesses (note the disclaimer at the beginning), but he's wrong about the speed factor;

"- speed factor in this case means that you must be doing 15 kts or more for the AI to notice you."

If that was true the S class would always be completely invisible. I think what it means is when the enemy is going fast he's less likely to see you, same applies to sonar. My testing shows full speed surface running by the sub makes no difference at all in detection range, we can see the bright white spray kicked up by the sub, the enemy AI can't see that at all. Same with muzzle flashes, in real life you fire the deck gun at a destroyer from 4 miles away he wouldn't see the sub in the dark, but he would see the bright light from the muzzle flash and start firing at that. The game doesn't simulate that, until you actually hit him he's blissfully unaware that he's being shot at.

One trick I use often;

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=211613

Flooded down to 25 feet the diesels still run, so at flank speed you can run at 12 knots or more, get to within 3000 yards in the daytime and 1500 yards at night without being seen since it's a smaller profile. The spray kicked up should be visible to the AI but it's not.

If you don't like the detection programming you can make a backup copy of sim.cfg, then tinker with the values (it's a standard text file), and/or use S3D to play with the numbers in the AI_sensor.dat file. Either way be aware that the whole thing is a variable, and a wise skipper will err on the side of caution.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote