View Single Post
Old 11-10-10, 11:33 AM   #111
Vainglory
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the timely reply, it's much appreciated. Many games have awful support.

As far as your suggestions... well what makes it perplexing is that when I saved Grosser Kurfurst was well out of the line of fire, with no uncontrolled fires, and pumping exceeding flooding.

The battle ran for about another ten minutes as Tiger and Queen Mary sank, then it ended because there were no HM Ships in view.

Another battle started a few hours later (somewhere between midnight, but before dawn) a hundred KM or so away, again with Beatty bumping into the HSF.

Grosser Kurfurst was there, but I got slightly miffed when Kaiserin didn't turn to starboard (she was avoiding a torpedo) and instead turned to port. The turn to port put her about a kilometer closer to Princess Royal. Eight x 1,250lb shells at point blank range saw the end of Kaiserin...

I was rather frustrated with myself (I let my priceless Kaiser class ships get way too close to the pair of British BCs) so I quit without saving.

When I restarted from the aforementioned save point, played out the sinking of Tiger and Queen Mary, then stumbled into Beatty once more (the BCF is southeast of the HSF which is heading home so it seems to cause another clash every time) Grosser Kurfurst was gone.

What makes it perplexing is that GK has no uncontrolled fires, flooding exceeds pumping, and the general damage level is moderate. She doesn't take any more damage between when I saved and when the next battle starts (only enemy ships visible are Tiger and Queen Mary because Beatty's scattering), but she appears to sink anyway. I've tried it a few times and GK seems to survive less frequently than she sinks.

I guess it's the randomness in the damage control? A submarine or mine taking down Grosser Kurfurst specifically, several times in a row, seems unlikely to me.

My problem is just that I'd expect a German battleship with moderate damage to make it home... is that wrong? I'd not be surprised if ships with Very Heavy damage are always adjudicated as "sunk" after the battle ends. Even with heavy damage, if there are uncontrolled fires, or uncontrolled flooding, I'd expect them to sink. But if it's only moderate damage with flooding and fires in hand (and well over 3/4 of the crew alive) I'd expect that ship to make it home.

It occurs to me that I've seen two British "Inflexibles" sink in the same fashion. They had heavy damage though.
Vainglory is offline   Reply With Quote