Old 05-17-20, 06:31 AM   #9
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainadccdacaptain View Post
That would be very enjoyable!

How about a game where you are an RAF reconnaissance plane that scans the English Channel for enemy presence and report any contacts...

I like that idea.

However, having spent the majority of my military career conducting reconnaissance, I can attest that it is BORING. Mind numbing boring, tedious, and dull and that's on a good day.

Think of playing SH4 in real time... from Pearl

But the planning of reconnaissance would be, in my opinion, a more enjoyable game. If I missdisremember correctly, one of the Task Force games had a pretty clever use of integrating reconnaissance aircraft in to the fleet game play. The player had to made decisions on when and where to deploy the aircraft.

Do you completely cover one small area so that you catch every thing in that one area, but completely miss anything in the other areas. Or do you use sampling theory and partially cover multiple areas, accepting missing more but covering more.

Then there is the temporal aspect of reconnaissance. Do you cover one area multiple times during the day or multiple areas once a day?

I think that a logistics of reconnaissance game might be interesting. Balancing the resources with the mission requirements. Receiving intelligence information that may or may not be accurate and revising collection based on this, nor not based on this information could be challenging.

I wonder how a game designer could incorporate the difficulties in finding ships in the ocean from an aircraft? It really would be blobs and smears. That would be an interesting design for a First Person viewpoint. No pausing during the First Person portions and incorporating aircraft shaking and how it affects optics.

This type of video game will have low graphic requirements (think Action Stations if anyone remembers that) for the planning and operations portion. This would make developing this game easier but might not have the appeal for today's customers who want the fancy graphics. But low graphics also means that more work can be applied to the programming of the game elements.