View Single Post
Old 06-01-21, 07:10 PM   #6
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
You know what is interesting, once taken on some flooding at that depth and pump water out, you then have better control lol. Happened a few times now.

Last night I attacked a convoy in February 1945 few miles off Indochina Coast( 13 10 N 109 24 E) . Was a night surface attack but after sunk a troopship, a Chidori was running me down so had to dive. This is a "deep" spot so perfect for attack. After about three hours under attack was in even deeper water. The bottom was at 744 feet. A close charge caused some flooding in engine compartment, it was controlled but of course while being pumped out boat took a slight angle by stern. Did not want to speed up so waited, then boat touched bottom so sped up some. Took another hour or so to lose them, but noticed at that depth once water pumped out, could maintain 735 feet with just 2 1/2 knots lol. That is the problem that sort of nixed the Balao's advantage in game, have to use too much speed to maintain depth and not sink, it gives your position away because can hear you until youve taken on water, it does something lol even after its pumped out.

I would love to talk to people who created this sim sometime and ask them what were they thinking?
Interesting. The devs for SH4 were not the same as 3, but built it off of 3 without fully knowing the ins and outs of it. It's come a long way since release but some things just make you scratch your head.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote