View Single Post
Old 08-21-21, 04:57 PM   #222
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The oven works good to do turkish pita bread as well. Had my first attempt at it, must correct it a bit, it was too much dough and so it rose too high and burnt a black ring into the top, but taste and consistency was already almost like one does want it.

Go with 240gr of Nuvola flour, 165 gr water, 8.5 gr salt, and 2.5 gr instant yeast. Mix with a hand mixer for ten minutes, like a pizza dough, add salt not before 5 minutes after you started to mix the other things, so that it does no harm to the yeast anymore. This pita dough has roughly 70% hydration, so it is a bit tricky to handle. Have plenty of flour or oil on your hands.

I avoid oil and butter in doughs with yeast now. Too often the fat hinders the yeast and the dough stays too flat.

When done, form a nice bowl of the dough dough and put it on a resting plate, on a bed of plenty of flour, not too cold, not hot), and make it wet with your hands, or a sprayer, then cover it with a big bowl or anything serving as a lid. I let it rest for around two hours. It should not become dry.

Prepare a small cup of flour and water, and stirr it, so that you get kind of a greasy, creamy fluid. Enough for around 4-5 tablespoons, so we talk of a small amount only. I added some drops of roasted sesam oil, but not much. You also need black cumin/black onion seed (Schwarzkümmel), and some roasted seasom seeds. Maybe 1-2 teaspoons of each.

Heat the device up to medium setting, aim at a stone temperature around 300-330°C. Or use your regular household oven, and put a bowl with water into it, too. With that oven: as hot as you can, probably in the range of 250-275°C.

The pita dough probaly has flattened and widend significantly, because it is so fluid. Now here is the difficulty, you do not want to squeeze it and press it too much when moving it onto the shovel as it is, while at the same time you need to get some semola on the bottom, else it will not slide off, due to the plenty of moisture. Its a bit difficult, this dough sticks like hell. Immediately before you put it into the oven, gently distribute that greasy creamy water-flour onto its surface, it helps to form a crust a bit, thats why you do that (its not a mst). With our without that, you finally spread some of the sesam seeds and black curmin on it, not too much. Take the looks of these breads in the supermarket for orientation.

I read that some people also spread some egg yoke on the surface, to help it forming a shiny crust. Have not doen itk, but will try it later.

At the very last moment, use a long sharp edge of something and put some ridges/grates into the disc. You do not want to cut the bread into pieces, but the "cuts" must be deep, else the dough simply will form a disc again and the pita will lack the typical grates pattern (that also help to rip it into pieces when it is done). Not sure whether "grates" is the right word here.

I baked mine for around ten minutes, and it was quite okay, not perfect, but a functional first try that was okay. But, I had used more dough than in this recipe above, and so the dough rose and touched the round heating element, and it stamped a black ring into it and burnt it, the burnt arome made itself a bit felt. But one could still eat it, but when you do it with this pizza oven thing, this is what you want to avoid: make the pita small enough that it will not raise as high as that it will make contact with the heating element in the lid.

Maybe I will need to correct the recipe a second time, I will see, but the charm lies in that with this oven it really is no big business and does not make a mess in the kitchen, its fast and easy to make fresh turkish pita. Originally, I took orientation from my pizza recipe and multiplied it with 2.5, the pita dough recipe I gave above now is reduced to a factor around just 1.5.

Its pleasant to eat bread without all those functional encymes and chemical agents most bakers put into it these days. It helps to avoid digestion problems.

The photo is not by me, I just give it for illustration so that everbyody knows what kind of pita I am talking of.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-21-21 at 05:13 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote