View Single Post
Old 05-29-20, 06:23 AM   #1
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0

Default I think this is unethical: Companies bribing me to remove negative reviews

A while ago, I ordered some printer toner cartridges from an Amazon vendor. There is always a risk when buying third party toners, but the price was reasonable.

When I used the cartridges, one of the cartridges was smearing. I wrote a product review pointing out that the other cartridges were good, but that this one cartridge smeared. It was not a terrible review. I think it was a 4 out of 5 because the other cartridges were good and I probably got a bad one. Stuff happens.

They offered me a replacement, which was nice. I declined as the smearing was not all that bad and honestly, most of what I print out is for my own use only so it was not a big deal.

The problem I had was that the replacement was contingent on my removing my review. I don't think that is right. The review was based on the actual product I received.

Recently, I have been getting repeated E-mails from this seller offering me, what amounts to bribes, via gift cards, to remove my review.

I understand the importance of positive reviews. But my product had some flaws and my review pointed out the positive aspects of the product but pointed out the one single problem. It was an accurate review.

I think it is unethical for a seller to try to bribe customers to change reviews.

I could understand if I had posted an emotional 1 star review and vented about how terrible the company was etc.

My review was unemotional and pointed out the positive and negative experiences with this product.

Am I being unreasonable?