Old 09-05-21, 11:47 AM   #176
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

4 April 1942
Contact Lost with Kaga & Junyo just as Enterprise and Saratoga arrive

West Australia
A Wirraway on ASW patrol bombed an enemy sub off Perth.

New Hebrides
There is now a concentration of submarines off Noumea. I have 2 corvettes and 2 destroyers out looking for them, with a squadron of Wirraways supporting. The Wirraways claimed to hit 2 of them today, and one of the destroyers slightly damaged one with a depth charge attack.

Air losses over Luganville were 2 P-39s and 3 P-40s; SBDs left over from the Yorktown rebased to here and attempted to hit transports but missed.

I've moved the Enterprise and Saratoga back here after having them clear datum to avoid a chance of them being ambushed by the KB. But with the KB at Java and two carriers here--one of them 2nd rate--I was trying to ambush them. But my scouts failed to find them today. I know they're still here, their Zeroes are defending Luganville. My CVBG hasn't been detected yet, so I'm just going to be patient for another day, maybe they'll turn up.

Japan
USS Plunger torpedoed a cargo ship southeast of Tokyo.

Hawaii and CENTPAC
3 BB bombarding Pearl today.

I did some bombarding of my own with 2 cruisers at Christmas Island. This recon-in-force did not detect any enemy troops concentrations. Catalinas also still haven't found anything. The landing will be tomorrow.

Java
My attack on Tjepoe failed--it's a lot more than 2 regiments there now. Probably triple that. I'm going to try to pull these troops back. This means both my "draw him to a defensive bastion" strategy in the west and my "hit him where he's overextended" strategy in the east both failed. Java is pretty much doomed at this point, all I can do now is try to make him pay for every mile he seizes, Surabaya in particular. For what it's worth, our bombers are still getting through at Tjepoe and hitting their troops in open terrain, so this is costing them something. Air losses over Tjepoe were 2 P-39s and a Falcon for 3 Oscars. At Djokarta we traded a Sally for a P-39. The KB raided Batavia, shooting down 3 Buffalo and a Hurricane with no losses and inflicting significant facility damage with its bombers.