View Single Post
Old 05-14-10, 10:06 AM   #30
ijozic
Bosun

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
I don't so much mind the Tigers and Panthers being available as part of the overall experience... I'm just making a point about the "gottawin" mentality that drives players to immediately gravitate to the uebers, and stunting their own development and learning (not to mention, gaining more of an appreciation for why it was nice to drive a Tiger after surviving in a III or a IV for a long time).
I think you need a game with some longer span campaigns for that. I loved Panzer Elite campaigns where you had limited tanks and ammo (especially those rare tungsten rounds) and you really felt the difference coming from the PzIII/IV with the 50 mm or the short 75mm cannon and PzIVF2/G with the longer one. And when you sometimes get one or two Tiger Is, it felt like Christmas came early

I don't know why something like this couldn't have been implemented into the SF or TvT - repairing tanks, keeping track of the ammo of your tank company and hoping for some reinforcements was half the immersion factor that kept you going through the campaign missions. Looking back, I think that it was the strongest innovation of the PE, along with the infantry elements (however rudimentary they have looked).