View Single Post
Old 05-01-10, 01:42 PM   #17
hugostv
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiglr View Post
Re IL2 I beg to disagree with you.You can survive with a Bf 109 and a Spitfire even against latest models.Some early war models remained competitive( with upgrade admittedly) till the end of the war.
I think that's exactly what Stiglr was trying to say right from the beginning.
I've played Warbirds and Aces High before moving to tanks. What they used to do on those servers back in those days is limit plane choice to certain plane era (ie spit1 vs 109e), on a russian freehost server, which is still in operation i think, they took a step further and made more planes of the same era available, so you'd get russian almost useless biplanes battling or trying to survive against 109e's. And for sure I found that those earlier models took a lot more skill and were actually more fun to play than the later '1 shot wonder' models. But I know it's all down to personal taste and I won't dispute that.
What I'm trying to say is that I totally understand what Stiglr is saying. Most people fly Spitfires because they offer the best average of firepower, maneuverability, speed, and forgiving physics. Personally, I would choose the hardest plane to fly and adapt my own style of flying. And that would take me to a different level of gameplay. Instead of just trying to outmaneuver and just turn'n'burn mindlessly, I'd have to stick to tactics which require far more discipline and patience. And it really paid off. Most people would just stick to relying on maneuverability and pure luck after burning all the energy, but you can almost guarantee yourself a perfect sortie if you'd stick to certain rules flying a less maneuverable plane. It just forces you to become better.
In Red Orchestra, there are certain maps you can play against limited amount of Tigers vs early T34s, which guns just wont penetrate that thick Tiger armor. So you'd have to drive so close to the Tiger trying to outmaneuver it in order to get behind Tiger's rear and make a quick shot hoping to hit it in the weak spot. And it's just such a rush you get when you can make a Tiger look so humiliated while desperately trying to shake T34s off its tail with its smaller rate of turn. And I think that's what Stiglr is trying to say: I don't think you really need to restructure everything, but it's certainly nice to give a limited choice for players in order to force them explore these options instead of going with angled IS2 vs Tigers at a long distance and shoot each other endlessly, at least that's what happens in RO.