View Single Post
Old 08-19-19, 08:08 PM   #2894
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default The "Dunbar".

On the 20th August 1857, the "Dunbar" came to grief ( in a howling gale and mountainous seas ) practically at journey's end off Sydney Heads.

The "Dunbar" ( one of the largest sailing ships of her day - 1850s ) struck the cliffs at Macquarie lighthouse - about a mile south of the harbour entrance, and was badly damaged. The brave captain and crew fought desperately to save her and bring her home. They got to within a 1/2 mile of the harbour entrance - being repeatedly smashed against the cliffs by the massive seas and howling gale, when her structural integrity finally gave out and she disintegrated.

Out of 122 passengers and crew there was 1 survivor.

In the pic above :- She struck the cliffs at top left, they managed to get to "The Gap" ( bottom left ) where she finally gave up the ghost and broke up.

The harbour entrance is only a few hundred yards further on. And you can see in the distance on the right, her destination. So close.

"The Gap", on a calm day. There's always a huge swell there and the cliffs are 200 feet high.

The harbour entrance is just around the corner.

The currents are treacherous and there's a lot of sharks.

One of her 3 ( Huge ) anchors, recovered years later and set up as a Memorial on the cliffs above.

A contemporary painting of her loss, showing her Blue light ( Distress??? )
vainly burning.

The below link takes you to a gripping/well written/and very moving account of the time. I HIGHLY recommend you read it ( only 12 pages ). I gotta confess I shed a few tears.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-33595956/v....obj-33595962#

Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote