View Single Post
Old 02-04-10, 12:16 AM   #30
jazman
Commander

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnsman View Post
So when they say E4400 dual core minimum do they really mean dual core only, since my P4 has a higher clock speed even than the E6850? Like does the game needs both cores to operate? I dont reallly understand dual core technology, but I do think a game has to be coded to take advantage of it. Now does this mean such a game is not backward compatiblle?
Don't go by clock speed. Go by CPU throughput, which pretty much is higher for all the multi-core CPUs than for a single-core CPU, not because of clock speed, but because of bandwidth between RAM and CPU and CPU throughput. If SHV is not built with multithreading able to spread load across multi-cores, it's a dead dog. If it is built with multithreading (very likely is), your CPU is the dead dog.

But even clunky old games like IL-2 work better on a multi-core CPU. The game is bound to one of the cores, and all the other OS processes can use the other core(s), and it flies. You don't have to do all that stupid stuff like shutting down all services to reduce CPU usage.