View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 01:03 PM   #58
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1. I also believe this to be a tragic accident and diplomatic immunity no longer applies because her husband has left his post.
Hi, I read that also, but that argument does not make any legal sense. You cannot prosecute a diplomat when he is in the UK, but as soon as he leaves, you can extradite him/her back to the UK and then charge him?

I have been a lawyer long enough to know that no U.S. or Canadian Court would accept that argument.

Quote:
3. This has nothing to do with punishing the "Ugly American" Don't lose sight of the fact a young man lost his life due to the alleged actions of somebody and when I wore the uniform causing death by careless or reckless driving was and still is a criminal offence here in the UK, an offence that could warrant a prison sentence of up to five years.
Agreed, and in a case of a serious crime, countries will waive diplomatic immunity. If this was an intentional murder or she was drunk while driving, the UK might potentially have a case.

Criminal negligence, which is what we are talking about here, requires a reckless disregard for the consequences of your action. Just driving on the wrong side of the road, late at night, when you are tired and unfamiliar with driving on the left side of the road (which is no doubt what her lawyers will claim) does not rise to that standard.