View Single Post
Old 10-24-08, 04:43 PM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Hotcliff
Thks Skybird for the tips..I will try it tomorrow.

Besides, in the scenario I tried..I went with my four Leo's and identified the enemy tank..ordered "fire" but nothing happened..it seemed like I had no crew!
Anyway..after a while I got hit and "smoked".."defeated" it said..
I am not sure I am doing things right..
You probably don't do some things right, because bugs like this thing you described never existed and most of the serious other bugs, if not all, have been worked out in the past 30 months.

You have to take into account this: depending on tank and used visual sensor, the TC must not but eventually can have better sights than the gunner. Also, it can be that the gunner looks over a ridge and sees a tank in his GPS, and still the gun tube does not point over that ridge, because the periscope and thermal sensors (feeding the GPS) are positioned higher on the tank than the optical GSS (secondary sight) which is mounted on same height and parallel to the gun barrel. Test this, drive to a ridge, switch to gunner's secondary sight, and move forward so that you just see the ridgeline wandering down in the sight. Then switch to primary sight, and you will see, that the ridgeline already is no longer in sight, while you still see the rest in the secondary sight. Now crawl back, until in primary sight the ridgeline appears at the bottom again, not more. when you switch to secondary, you probabaly already can't see anything anymore. The secondary represents best what the gun barrel can see, so in case of doubt, use this to check.

Two tips linked to this: in close range skirmishes, when reaction speed is of the essence and due to close range ballistic calculations are unimportant, switch laser to fixed battlesight range, and either use primary sight without lasing, or use secondary sight to be safe from being blocked from ridgelines. Don't forget that in the Leopard's secondary you nevertheless need to tune the sight to the range, manually. Set it to 1000m in advance, and then fire at everything in sight, you have high kill probability at first shot even beyond that range. - However, when you have manouvered your tank into a position where you need to fight at close range, you already have made errors long before. Both the Abrams and the Leopards are superior to the T-80 and T-72 in the medium to long range, here their superior sights, guns and ammunitions rule over the Russian models, but beyond ranges of 3500 (up to 5500m!) T-80s will engage you with gun-launched wire-guided mini-missiles, while they are out of effective range for your gun at 4000+ meters (beware! these "mini"-missiles eventually can kill you from the front!), and below ranges of 2000m you give up the advantage of your tank, and the enemy's ammunition becomes effective enough to defeat your armour at same chances like your gun can defeat his. At 1000m it does not matter wether you use german, American or Russian ammunitions and guns: you are always in the overkill zone here. I have made it a rule to exchange shots at ranges between 2000 and 3000m, and to manouver to keep this distance, avoiding the enemy to move closer or farther away. at closer range, it is 50:50, at the very long range (4000+) you are under fire, but cannot shot back - bad way to wage battle! It is 0:100, then.

Don't take the range values I gave as the holy bible, I just made a quick estimation here.

Quote:
I know, I shouldn't load this forum with novice stuff like this..sorry

Sgt Hotcliff
Consider it to be your contribution to keep the forum amused!