View Single Post
Old 12-07-09, 10:26 AM   #1301
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I see.. I always thought that these wheels are functional for maneuvrability.
The big handwheels are in fact just the emergency way of moving the planes, using exclusively man power (Which requieres a huge amount of strength, and the crew gets tired quickly). The controls where operated with push buttons pressed with the palm of the hands, which were assisted by an electrohydraulic motor. More or less, like an average assisted steering in a car. The two pushknobs for each diving plane can be seen perfectly in SH3 at the top of the cage labelled "BBC" on each diving plane station, but sadly the crew have their hands at the wheels and not on them.

Quote:
So if on surface a u-boat had to turn, what steering wheel crew had to use ?
The rudder control is behind the chief engineer, below the engine telegraphs and the big compass. It also has a cage labelled "BBC" on it, though the push knobs and the seat are missing. The station is sadly unmanned in SH3/4 The fleet boats in SH4 have a crewman (helmsman) in the american submarines, but in the Uboats it is empty.

In emergency cases, the manual rudder was in the aft torpedo compartment, unlike the emergency diving planes controls, which are the big wheels in the control room.