View Single Post
Old 10-30-13, 11:52 AM   #3
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

All WWII subs had an UZO that simply is the acronym for the German word which you already mentioned.In the US Navy it was called TBT Target Bearing Transmitter.Pretty much they all worked about the same way and where always high power binoculars.Now the scaling would of course differ depending on the navy.I know for certain the most US Navy subs had two mount locations one fore and one aft.This was not an original design feature but was found useful and was a war time overhaul upgrade.

Of course the mount itself was part of the system with any "UZO" it provided a stable platform and also had bearing marks.

In the US Navy during WWII the last T in TBT Transmitter that was the person operating the TBT he called out (transmitted) the data.

I might be mixing up the TBT with another tool used on US Navy subs but anyway they did have a UZO of course with a different name.

Ok I looked it up in the US Navy the tool was called TBT Mark 8 but a German submariner would be able to work one fairly easily once he was informed of the scaling differences and vice versa.

http://maritime.org/doc/fleetsub/elect/chap14.htm#14A
about half way down the webpage section 205 top left photo.

the US Navy had a much more capable target data computer for subs than any other navy during WWII so it may have been more complex to operate the TBT than it was the UZO.

Last edited by Stealhead; 10-30-13 at 12:13 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote