View Single Post
Old 07-28-17, 09:49 AM   #407
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Oh my bad, I forgot that the height map has a much lower resolution than the land/sea mask.
Exactly five times smaller

Quote:
By the way, this is strange : look at the Helgoland island, and you will see that the height map is relatively precise :
Once we find an agreement on the land mask of Sein (hopefully ), we will see if we can improve its heightmap too

Quote:
Yes, sure. On your satellite view, you took into account submerged parts to draw your island.
You are right, I probably took into account the very shallow waters around the island, but if I were to follow only the emerged profile, due to the low resolution of the terrain mask and to the impossibility of using smooth edges, the island in game would be smaller than it is in reality.

A visual example of that follows.

The aerial view I used as template:

The same picture, with two island layouts overlayed on top of it: the drawing that my previos proposals were based on (in white), and a new layout I have just drawn by strictly taking into account only the coastline (in yellow):

As above, but in SHIII (equirectangular) proportions. Note that after the resizing, the coordinate grid is square:

The new (yellow) layout in SHIII proportions and scaled exactly to the size of the SHIII land/sea mask (by matching coordinate grids):

For comparison, here's the improved layout I had proposed in my last post:

Which one looks better?

I am not even sure that on the new version the Sein lighthouses would find their place. Not because of inaccuracies made by me, but because of the extremely low resolution and of the lack of eges smoothing, which 'erodes' the borders of the island.

Quote:
Mine can't be distord [...]
Not only it can... it is

You said you based the proportions of your island drawing drawing on the following picture below that you have (not enough) expanded horizontally, don't you?

Well, for the island to be in scale with the coordinate system used in game, the grid on the map you use as template should be square, not rectangular. If you follow the correct method (I invite you to give it a try!), the result wont be too dissimilar from what I already got

Quote:
Moreover, I think my last proposition is more looking natural as your last proposition.
That's another proof of what I am saying: if it looks 'natural', it can't be right... Not in this crazy game

Changing of topic... when you finish drawing that island in a proper way, what do you think about tweaking a bit the light flash effect, so that it resambles more the light of a carbide lamp?

Here's a video:

Imo, the outer border of the light should be red-violet towards its outer border, not blue as it is now. What do you think?

EDIT: found a decent picture

The flame looks bluer near the center of combustion, and it becomes red-violet as it moves away from the center. After all, the current effect color might be compatible with the blue seen in the picture above

Last edited by gap; 07-28-17 at 10:27 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote