View Single Post
Old 12-24-08, 05:10 AM   #146
Silverleaf
Wild Night in Bangkok

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

So, after 4 hours of work ... she's done:

First I created a plaque from scratch - added in rivets, gave it a weathered metal look, similar to what Hitman posted a few pages back, and added aproper font.

In my research to locate a better clearer logo, I discovered the proper name for it is KM Eagle Stamp. I could not find a clear image of it, BUT I sum that up to a major step by Auction houses and seller's of real artifacts from WWII Germany to prevent rampant "replica" exposure. Not that it will help much..

As an aside, I found something which I didn't know - and it might be old news to aficionados of WWII Germany History. Every Kriegsmarine (water) logo I found has the eagle looking to his right shoulder - every German Army (land) logo has the same eagle looking to his left shoulder. This applies doubly for police - land patrols left, shore patrols right Anyways, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there, but it was an interesting discovery for me. 8)...

The logo:

I added a small spacer on the back of the image, laminated both sides, and super glued it to the front:

Next, I took a Sub emblem which I felt was appropriate, laminated and placed it on the top - to cover up the cigar logo - my printer didn't like the black - but it works:

Next, I thought why not include some personal effects, things that would add to the mystique, and finish off the project. Everythings inside, and locked in place:

In the tray on the right I've included copies of coins from the period, and an old well read letter sent to the sailor:

The Whiz wheel removed so you can see how it's held in place. Yes, this is very crude, but it works quite nicely:

Lastly, my big surprise. You may have already caught it..BUT..

As a tribute to everyone here whom adores screw-ups and the like, AND what Subsim thread would be complete without...

I found a passport image which just happens to have a soldier with the name, you guessed it: Bernhard !!

Many thanks again for all the work that went into making this possible. Your all top-notch in my book, and Merry Christmas !!

Cheers,

R.S.