View Single Post
Old 10-06-16, 08:04 PM   #48
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Plus with 50 years you are no longer that hot for new tech stuff anymore like you were when you were 16, 20, 25. Yoo start to appreciate known routines and comfort over innovation. LOL
I am already set in my ways.
I too like older things, so I can understand your point on that.
However, I still like to look at the new stuff, and learn about it.
Even if it is just to tell the person, that has been trying to make something "better" than what I like to use, where, when and how they messed up.

Quote:
That I start gaming under Linux, I do not expect within the coming years, probably never in my lifespan.
It is easier than you think, but a little more difficult than most of us would like.
Unless the game is written for Linux.
I have several games for Linux on Steam, they all run excellent.
The main problem I have, is Fedora doesn't ship/package proprietary software with the OS, so you have to get it yourself. I use the CLI, BUT you can get everything setup just by clicking on a link on the webpage.
Ubuntu/Mint would probably be easier.

Quote:
Security risks also are involved with using WINE. Its not as easy going as it sounds at first description.
Since WINE is an interface that allows programs to make Windows API calls, then if those calls are made with malicious intent, then they can cause harm.
If it wasn't possible, then Windows would be secure, and we wouldn't have one of the reasons to switch to Linux.

I understand why you are concerned, but I read an article somewhere a few years ago.
And they could only get a few viruses to actually "infect" the system using WINE.
Now WINE has improved, but it still won't run everything.
Not necessarily a bad thing...

And it is a bit difficult to get some games working, but WINETRICKS is your friend in that regard.

And Last but not Least:

The first year I used Linux exclusively, I had to check the net constantly for answers to questions I had. You are learning something new.

Think about this: How much would you actually know how to do in Win7 if you had NEVER used a computer before?
We walk in with you and you take a seat by this screen, and this Tall Grey Box.
And then we leave.
It's not even on, we just leave you here to figure it out.
How long would it take for anyone to figure it out?

I know an older Gentleman who used to work on UNIX. He used CAD programs, etc, and worked with UNIX all day.
This Man could have a conversation with us, a serious, intelligent conversation, and still be thinking of, at least, 2 other things at the same time.

But he couldn't work Windows, almost at all. Win95/98/2000/XP... he was lost.
We would have to tell him multiple times how to get to his e-mail.

In UNIX, he did everything as simple as most of us use Windows.

It's new and different. I have no doubt that it is a case of WHEN, not IF, you get into gaming on your Linux PC.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 10-06-16 at 08:27 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote