Old 10-17-10, 01:49 AM   #1508
harryt8
Bosun

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default Ah the missing Helmsman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
The helmsman steers the boat Port and Starboard when on the surface and submerged. The main steering controls are the buttons on the box labelled BBC on the bulkhead just behind the chief engineer.

Unfortunately UBI, didn't think it important to actually give us the helmsman ....so you just have to imagine he is there!

The other two guys ( who appear and disappear ) are the planesman. They control the mini wing things (at the Fore and Aft of the submarine ) which help the boat to rise and fall during diving and keep it level (including the use of Trim Tanks) when under water.
So, finally the answer to my question: UbiSoft forgot to provide a helmsman although a Watch Officer (I presume) is designated Helmsman when you run the curser over him. I presume it's nigh on impossible to provide one, which negates my comment that it must be almost impossible to steer a U-boat with buttons.
Surely U-boats had a wheel? What's the historic perspective?
Submarines subsequently incorporated the rudder/wheel into the after-planes both dived and surfaced. with the planes being disengaged on the surface.
harryt8 is offline   Reply With Quote