Old 12-02-21, 11:45 AM   #341
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

11 August 1942
Chengchow resists shock attack, enemy takes massive casualties

Sumatra
We lost a P-40 and 4 Hurricanes defending Palembang with just 2 Zeroes shot down to show for it. The enemy started bombing the oil facilities, there are now massive fires that are doing damage-over-time to the facilities. Another confusing move, as I've told him I shut the refinery down to avoid a rather gamey result--10% of the refinery's output is Supply rather than Fuel, and Supply is what your troops use, so the oil refinery can actually keep troops supplied and combat ready during a siege. With the refinery shut off, all he's doing now is destroying his future facilities.

Thailand
We shot down two Zeroes but the bombers got through again. We're losing the air war over Tavoy, but it might not matter, disruption levels are returning to normal.

The first of two Canadian fighter squadrons has arrived in India and is making its way to Calcutta, where the fighters will be made ready and flown to Burma or Thailand. I was going to split these squadrons, 1 of P-40s and 1 of Hurricanes, but the key fighter attribute in Thailand right now is range. The P-40 is a little better without drop tanks, but with tanks, the Hurricane is superior, and I have plenty of supply at my main bases to support drop tanks. Hurricanes it is.

We lost one Blenheim over Pisanuloke as the Mohawks decided to sit a round out. But it was worth it: our army took the enemy base.

China
Two Oscars shot down over Chengchow. The enemy attempted a shock attack, which his always enough to make me nervous with an enemy army this size (173,000). But we held the line, fortifications holding at level 3. Casualties 25,355 to 11,825.
That wasn't that close and it's only going to get worse for him, hopefully he takes the hint.

We hit Hong Kong with Wellingtons but came up empty. A few Nates were on CAP and caused a little damage to a few planes. Weather seems to be a constant problem here, and this strike was no exception.

Caroline Islands
USS Finback was bombed by an enemy aircraft near Truk. I'm pretty sure that's a line I've written before, I think the Finback may have to stay away from Truk for awhile--after it's repaired.

Repairs, Refits, Reinforcements
Repairs on the HMS Ramillies have been completed at Cape Town. It will be headed back into the theatre.
SS Sculpin begins refit while under repair at Dutch Harbor
No.31 Sqn RAAF arrives at Wagga Wagga (16 Beaufighters, restricted. I don't have a reserve of trained fighter-bomber pilots to assign, but I do have ex-Wirraway pilots trained in low altitude naval bombing, so I'm assigning them here and training them in air-to-air and strafing. This will probably stay as a training unit until Australia actually comes under threat or until I start taking territory back--I'll pay the PP for it and use it to attack shipping.)

Last edited by Molon Labe; 12-02-21 at 01:28 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote