Old 05-29-19, 02:09 AM   #234
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
That's a funny way of writing 2014

What a sh!t show this game is. I wanted it to be good. I wanted to play. I still do!

But very glad I never gave up any money. Maybe one day I'll play SC. But the way it's going that day will never come. There needs to be a serious shift in how Roberts goes about spending his oodles of free money.

Most games I am interested in I'll check in to every month or two to see how it's coming along, when it might be finished. Following SC those months turn in to years. I feel sorry for folks that put their cash in to this boondoggle. For folks that spent thousands upon thousands on a game that is nowhere near any sort of finished state, I feel pity. I admire the enthusiasm and optimism, but not their judgement.

7 years? on and it's still an alpha, there is no 'game' there. Actually, alpha is not what it is. An alpha release is fully functional, but lacks content and polish. At best it's pre-alpha, but hard to keep the money rolling in unless you release it this way. It is years from being finished, if at all. I wish I could call Star Citizen a scam. But I can't really since there actually is something there, and they are working on it. But it is one of the most mismanaged projects in gaming history, if not top of the heap. I don't know if it's incompetence or just the fact that they simply are not capable of delivering all they have promised. But whatever is true, it's a disaster of the first order, and thousands upon thousands of well-meaning gamers have stuck their money in it hoping for it to become reality. I hope for their sake it happens one day.

Squadron 42 was slated for a 2014 release date. 2014! And now it's scheduled for beta in 2020. I'll believe that when I see it. To my eyes, what they release amount to tech demos. Things that look fantastic, even if there is nothing propping it up. Makes for great trailers. Those trailers spark interest, and another round of crowdfunding, which is then blown on more marketing. If Star Citizen fails, I suspect in the end it will be because they ran out of money trying to make it all a reality. I would have thought the money would have dried up some time ago, but people always manage to surprise me.

Star Citizen should be exhibit A on the pitfalls of crowdfunding. The free reign Roberts has had has led to an acute absence of accountability. If he had a publisher, SC would have either been released or cancelled. Instead, it just goes on, and on, and on.... and likely will continue to do as long as people keep giving CIG their money.
I think SC is a story of how NOT to set expectations. So much has been added to the scope since early days of funding.

I have spent many hours in SC and have had a great time as the different early versions of the gameplays were made available.

On the SQ42 beta - I am also not too trusting on this, but they have more riding on this than previously SC releases.

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote