View Single Post
Old 08-13-09, 07:41 AM   #198
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Skybird, I agree with your reasoning, but good/realistic flight-sims are few and far between. Might be another 10 years before something like Rise of Flight pops up again.
So what...? If that title in ten years is DRM, too, it is a non-starter as well, so why should I care for it? Better they get the lesson today, and by that increasing the chance that once they go with a new title again they will give up on DRM. In other business fields, both software and music, they haven given up on it already, saying out loud that it was a failure.

The message is they did not give up because the model was successful or they showed good willingness, but because it proved to be an economic failure and/or a damage to their business reputation.

Quote:
Although I admire sticking to your guns, maybe sometimes you need to make an exception (I folded for BS, and only BS).
This is no principal stubborness by me. I see DRM as being simply wrong, and tackling consumer's rights ( for example to resell a legally bought item, or to run it even without the needed server being in existence anymore).

I personally consider solid dongle solutions as good copy protection. It does a good job in delaying piracy successes in the first important weeks (which is what it all is about: delaying piracy in the first weeks), and from SBP I know that there are almost no complaints from the community, and the Codemeter dongle sticks having a good reputation in getting the intended job done. Customers' interest: taken care of, business interests: taken care of as well. Of course some will start whining again about how stressful it is for them to have to plug in and out a dongle and handle it appropriately so that it does not break after two months of use (maybe less stressful than having to plug and unplug a joystick?), but I know that it can be done. Like people complaining about disc's "limited lifetime", but throwing them around carelessly, scratching them mindlessly, using them to put their cup of coffee onto them, letting them fall onto the ground, touching the surface instead of carrying them with fingers put at the edges only. I never clean my discs, and my oldest discs are from the mid-80s - and still are as clear and shiny as a freshly polished mirror. So, handling discs with care and without needing to think about it can be done, too, you just must not behave like an elephant in a Chinese shop. In no way that is any "effort". And it is the same way with dongles.