View Single Post
Old 04-11-11, 01:19 PM   #1
deepvoice
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How realistic is this really?

I am trying to find threads about how realistic is this really.

I see a couple of issues. Feel free to add your own.

1) The vehicle itself looks like it will not be able to operate in anything worse than calm and following seas. Swells over 5ft would completely submerge it if you goal is to keep the bulk of the vessel underwater and still have solid stantions above the waterline to mount GPS receivers, etc.
Since the vehicle is so close to the surface all the time, the surface noise must be absolutely brutal. As far as all the bulky GPS stuff, can't really drag all this equipment through the water and a totally submerged vehicle is more visually stealthly and has a 'cool' factor. But the trade off for 'cool' is power(batteries), drag, manuverability, sea state operational limits (from the stantions rising up out of the water).
Sorry DARPA, if you really want to be cool anyway, tow the GPS, etc. package on pontoons via a cable(s). Hard mounting is just plain dumb (if the vehicle looks anything like what is depicted in the game)

2) What about BearTrap?

3) If I were a sub commander or was a trawler captain supporting a sub commander, I would poke several severe holes in one of these things every chance I got... if I knew it was there. I am surprised points, a lot of points, are not deducted for using the 'ping' button.
deepvoice is offline   Reply With Quote