nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdrifter
**Released** Depth Charge Shake v1.01 (for use with GWX)

Changes/ fixes in v1.01:

A) Greatly reduced the badly shaking compartments when cruising on the surface in bad weather-

There is still a slight shake sometimes in heavier seas when cruising on the surface, but I had to make compromises to get the correct shaking effect when being depth charged. Please remember that when this shaking sometimes happens, the u-boat is cutting through large waves on the surface, so this slight shaking effect should be somewhat realistic (hopefully!).

B) Doubled shockwave impulse radius for depth charges and bombs-

Shockwave impulse radiuses for bombs and depth charges was doubled to give a slight underwater shaking effect from farther away depth charge and bomb explosions. But distant explosions still won't be felt. Explosion damage and impulse strength for all bombs and depth charges was unchanged. Only impulse distance was increased.

C) I redid this mod using only the original GWX files, therefore this mod is only for use with GWX. It will probably work with other mods too, but it was specifically designed for and tested with GWX.

**Everyone please note that I have put many hours of playtesting and tweaking into this simple (?) mod to try to find the right balance and effect. I had to make a few compromises due to camera limitations and other things, but I still hope everyone will experience some new fear and excitement in SH3 when being depth charged.**

Download here:

http://files.filefront.com//;6512599;;/
Very neat little mod. Currently I'm also using your damage mod, but haven't been damaged very much lately Great work though. Thanks a lot.

Just to clear one thing up on this:
Since I generally play without external cameras, can I determine from the shaking how close the DCs were, as to say: when it shakes a little they were almost close enough to cause damage, when it doesn't shake the boat, the DCs were far off and I needn't worry?
Yes, that is correct. But let me clarify one thing- your boat can still shake pretty badly and take no damage... it just depends. When the depth charges start shaking your boat, whether or not those charges actually damaged your boat, start to worry. Let's just say the enemy probably knows where you are and is getting dangerously close to hitting you. When they are dropped right on top of your boat, you will surely know it. I guess what I am trying to say is that the closer the charges explode to your boat, the more violently it will shake. Also, when you hear distant charges exploding but experience no shaking, then it is maybe possible the enemy hunters have lost contact with you.

Here is an example:

A GWX depth charge has a maximum damage blast radius of 14 (meters?). The impulse blast radius of that same depth charge (with Depth Charge Shake v1.01 installed) is always 70 (meters?). So, this means that if your boat shakes even a little, the explosion was probably at most 70 (meters?) from you, or closer. In other words, too #$%#% close.

**Edit** I hope I didn't just give away some secret GWX numbers.

Last edited by nvdrifter; 01-12-07 at 04:28 AM.