View Single Post
Old 12-12-12, 01:15 PM   #13
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2

I have Re-released a new version of my Navigation Charts Mod.

I have added big letters for place named such as the Soviet Union and China, Canada, and the United States.

Presenting....... The release of Patchman's über Navigation Charts as Patchman's Uber Navigation Charts ZWEI, the German word for the number two.

It contains several hundred new map names for the Silent Hunter IV navigation charts to label all the islands that could be labeled on the map.

It took me several days to complete this project, including breaks from the computer.

I just updated a project that I started years ago because I was tired of going past unlabeled islands in the middle of nowhere, not knowing where I am and being off some island and not knowing its name as to my current position. It bothered me that it wasn't labeled.

I want to label these islands to recreate the feel of a real navigation chart. Who in their right mind who leave several hundred islands unlabeled on a real map like that in the SH4 stock map?

No real naval folks would really do such a thing. You'd think it was a shoddy work of cartography to leave such islands unlabeled.

So, I decided to label all these unlabeled islands to recreate a real map, based on a 1944 National Geographic Map of Southeast Asia.

I also happen to own a copy.

These names are also posted on David Rumsey's famous map collection. I assume Ubisoft had no time to label them, of course. I just pick up where they left off. So, due to my geographical skills that I've had ever since I was a child, which is true by the way, and intensely studying a map for days.

I labeled the map with hundreds of new map labels to recreate a real map. I did just that.

I do not know why Ubisoft did not label them. Probably because they didn't have time to do it all, on a limited time frame.

I just take the TMO map labels who were made by Jace11 for example, and Ducimus' TMO mod and add onto them to recreate a brand spanking new mod for Silent Hunter IV.

I believe that the pictures are too big for Subsim's website.

Rerelease of my famous Navigation Charts mod. Also available on Subsim.

For the big map names, I just simply in Paint.net took a file, added the biggest font size I could find, e.g. 900 point font for each letter and made it into a separate .dds file, just like a Scrabble tile. I took these "Scrabble tiles" and I would use the same consistent file size for each letter. And just like in Scrabble, I would put them together, like you would in a Scrabble game.

New mod for you guys. Enjoy!

I call this the Scrabble technique. Am I allowed to use that since Scrabble is a registered trademark?

Thank you for enjoying my mod, everyone.

Thank you

Patchman123.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3823
Updated Version on Subsim

Filefront
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22739...harts_Zwei_rar

Last edited by Patchman123; 12-12-12 at 02:38 PM.
Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote