View Single Post
Old 10-23-08, 07:18 PM   #73
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
OK I have to jump in here.... Neal, if your going to go with an intel cpu - go with an nvidia gpu. If you go AMD, get an ATI gpu. While I have been an AMD and ATI guy for a long time, the fact is that Intel is kicking AMD's tail when it comes to gaming right now (price/performance). Since intel now owns nvidia, there are some under the hood benefits that come with running "matching" hardware.

Now, I wont touch the issue of the PS other than go bigger than what you need.

The biggest thing you need to look at when your building any box is cooling. Whatever you build is going to make heat, and its looking like its going to make lots of it. Is noise an issue for you? If not, then make sure you just use 120mm case fans to both push hot air out and pull good "cool" air in. Don't use smaller fans because you will need more to accomplish the same rate of airflow. If noise IS an issue for you - go with Zalman fans (or another high quality maker). If you really want it quiet - go with water cooling. Contrary to what most think, its safe, VERY effective and real quite. If you go liquid - plan on 2-3 hundred for the cooling system and blocks (CPU, GPU, Memory, even HD coolers), but you can always move it from this rig to another in the future.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote