View Single Post
Old 10-23-08, 11:12 AM   #69
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Nice! That sounds like what I was aiming for. Two questions; if I search New Egg for the mobo and Ram you listed

Mobo Abit IP35 Pro
4G Crucial ram

Will I see the same speed ram, type mobo? Don't the mobo and ram have to "match"?

Have you had any problems or learned anything since you built your system?

Which O/S are you running?

Is that CPU the E8400?
If I remember right I was the one who recommended bert the IP35Pro. I think it's still a great choice. But there is a little problem, and that is Abit. They are going out of the mainboard business at the end of the year. So there could be problems with BIOS support. At the moment nobody knows exactly how they will support their mainboards from next year on.

If you order the CPU now you will probably get a E8400 E0, which is the current stepping. I use myself that said E8400 E0 on a IP35-E board, which is the little brother of the IP35-Pro (no RAID, no Crossfire, but a very fast and reliable board with exactly the features I will need). And all IP35 boards have a serious problem with the temperature reading of the E0 (sensor is stuck at 98C on mine). So I don't know what to recommend you. I have disabled temperature alarm, and fan control, and apart from that the board works excellent, stable and fast, I really like it. But a bug is a bug for sure. And no one knows if Abit will release a BIOS with a fix for the E0.

I can live with it, but if you're looking for an alternative, I keep hearing great things about the Biostar TPower IP45, or you might have a look at the various Gigabyte boards.

Concerning the RAM, the Crucial Ballistix RAM I recommended in my link works perfect with the IP35, and a lot of other people use GSkill RAMs with that board. In any case you should run DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 RAM in that combo.

Hope that helps and does not confuse you more than anything.

I can also recommend the Corsair PSU, but don't go for the HX, some people reported problems. The TX have no such issues. And if you don't mind some extra noise, have a look at PCPower and Cooling, which is the best PSU brand, except noise.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote