View Single Post
Old 03-20-10, 01:36 PM   #91
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Solved "cannot connect to speech server"

Ok, I resolved my problem in which SHSpeechEngineTest couldn't connect to the SHSpeech server, so I thought I'd post it in case it helps someone else.

For my setup (in Windows 7 Ultimate), I use the mic on my logitech 9000 webcam (which works great) and my speakers. The webcam mic didn't have a port listed (such as usb, front mic, etc.), so after seeing your post to Gusteno8, I tried to set the headphones mic as default, to no avail. I tried to disable the headphones mic, to no avail. I then "overruled it from the speechrecognition settings" as you suggested in that post, and made my headphones mic my preferred device. That got the SHSpeechEngineTest to connect to the Speech Engine Server and allowed me to issue commands. I then reset my logitech 9000 webcam to be my preferred device, reloaded SHSpeechEngineTest, and it still worked. To make sure it wouldn't revert back to not connecting to the server, I restarted my pc and tried again. All was good. I tested it in game, and it works fine.

I loved SHOOT in the old days until SH3Speech came out, which I loved, because it was easy to modify and worked great. With SH3Speech, SH3 was fun to play - I barely touched the keyboard. I can't even imagine playing again without voice commands (and wouldn't if I didn't have it). I used to use german voices, and spoke all the commands in German, despite not speaking (much) German. For SH5, I edited SHSpeech (that was for SH4) by completely redoing the IDs into groups, and removing the dials and clicks info, so that it would only take keyboard commands from commands.cfg. That was great. I'm not sure if I even need permission, because I haven't modded minsc_tdp's program, but, as a courtesy, I asked him for permission to see if he won't mind me uploading the csv files for others to use, since many people said they wanted to use voice (or at least get over the missing commands). It may help the XP users at least. I haven't heard back from him, though.

But now that I've tried this program, I think I'll be using it if I can add my own phrases. Using the "name=" lines from commands.cfg, rather than the key binds, makes it universal enough that it doesn't matter what anyone's keys are set up to. I think this is the approach that should have been used from the get go. Good on ya, skwasjer!!

My question now is "how do we add our own stuff?" For starters, I want to add navigation map and time compression. For time compression, I use key words, such as "riding" for 64,
"coasting" for 128, "cruising" for 256 "speeding" for 512, "flying" for 1024, "max time" for 2048, "warp speed" for 4096, and "real time" for time compression 1, etc., because they are
less cumbersome to say. In SHSpeech, you would have to set it up to reset to TC 1, then repeat the TC key to the amount that relates to that number. For example, in ShSpeech's
key_commands file, TC 4 is set up as Enter&Numpad +&Numpad +. For your VR, is this something that needs to be set up by you in the Page Voice Recognition file to simulate the multiple
presses, or is it something simple that we can do? For navigation map, I tried to add a new section in SHSpeech_Commands.xml, but it doesn't recognize my commands. I added a section as
follows:

<!-- Maps -->
<order>
<phrase>navigation map</phrase>
<phrase>map</phrase>
<phrase>close map</phrase>
<commandText>Navigation_map</commandText>
</order>

Is that incorrect, or is there more that has to be done?

For all those people who hate the fact that many commands are missing, they just have to modify the commands.cfg to add the keys, but if they use your VR, no keys need to be added, because everything seems to be taken from (stock) command.cfg - it's easy as pie!

Keep up the good work, man! I love it.