View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 09:59 AM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default Visual detection by enemy

Hi,
Currently I'm playing with the stock icons on the map, which means it displays blue, red icons + the visual detection rings for enemy ships.
I will however turn these 'cheats' off shortly.

From the enemy ship's behavior I have noticed that it hardly makes a difference wether you have little aspect angle towards the enemy or not in order to be visually detected. I had little aspect angle at dark night and yet i was detected at a fairly big distance away on the surface. This would make night surface attacks generally very difficult. I have never seen these 'enemy circles' change their size which they should depending on my sub's visibility (or they did and I didn't notice?).

Take these situations:

------->

i
i
i

Where the first line with the arrow is the enemy ship moving with an AOB of 90° to my sub below (vertical line). This should be an ideal aspect angle to avoid detection at least at maximum detection range noted by the enemy 'circle'. Instead you would immediately be detected in such a situation if too close:

------->

___

with the below line being my sub presenting all the aspect angle to the enemy.

I wonder if this is simulated in SH4. Of course to answer this sort of question (and also the sonar question in my other thread) I could simply consult the sim.cfg file, but this would spoil the game for me forever, which I don't want, so I'm never going to look in this file. I only want to know if this is accounted at all in the game, yes or no, and with all important mods like TMO, FORTSU. I guess in RFB, the most realistic mod, this is surely simulated.

Thank you to let me know!

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-08-20 at 10:42 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote