View Single Post
Old 07-14-17, 12:48 PM   #65
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadriss View Post
Submarines Once, Submarines Twice, eh, Senior?

Kapitan, if I gave the impression I thought everything US was better than everything Russian, I will apologize for that, cause it certainly wasn't my intention. As you say - there are things that both sides excelled at. I had a Chief who said that had there been a war, it would have been Quality vs Quantity... and that Quantity has a Quality of it's own. I'm just as glad it never got to that point.

Quite the opposite we each have our respective opinions however i have a unique position that i have seen it from both sides, i have been on many Russian boats i have also been on British American French German Italian and Egyptian boats as well as others, in fact back in February i was at the Yokasuka naval base Japan on board some of the JDMSF and USN warships including the new Soryu class, i flew in from South Korea after visiting the new RFA Tide Spring prior to her departure for the UK (sadly didn't get a ride home)

I have the privilege of working with mainly navies but also armies and air forces across the world i currently work in Logistics basically i am a glorified Transport manager / Truck driver ! but the company i work for Works for the M.O.D and we do supply lube oils to vessels my whole trip to Seoul was to ensure the correct fittings had been placed on a 6in diameter pipe so that a road tanker could couple in and pump lube oil into the engine room (something that could have been done in Devon port but hey i aint complaining)
The reason i ended up in Yokasuka was similar reasons but to ensure Japanese and American warships could refuel from our RFA's (which you guys have been doing since what the 40's? and yes another pointless exercise)

The company i work for we transport a lot of the sensitive equipment from sites across the whole of the EU it can range from fuel oils to weapons and electronics so it does mean i am up close and personal with a lot of the equipment, back in 2011 i had to double man a truck down to Gibraltar with new "stores" i helped the crew bring it on board and for my efforts i got a ride home on HMS Tireless.

I left school at 16 and went from 2003-2006 in the merchant navy on board a roll on roll off freighter (first ship) my first trip was to Um Qasr with an assortment of equipment from helicopters to tents i then spent time changing ships mainly RO RO but also an oil tanker before being put on as full crew and then being made redundant when the line was bought out.

I am aware of what the Russians field having stood at Severodisk and seen the loading of weapons, i have been able to go onboard many submarines including the Akula (Project 971 boat) also a couple of Kilo's a Delta IV Victor III and Oscar II having seen the weapons i know who id have money on in terms of weapons ability.

The Russians have always been brash and it has worked for them in some cases they really do come up with outlandish ideas and yet make them work! no other country has a sauna and swimming pool in a submarine! no other country has a rocket torpedo and no other country holds the records for speed and depth.
What they lack in technology they make up for either in numbers or by brute force.

The West always have made thing pin point accurate where as the Russian make it practical the AK47 is a good example of that machined imperfect even their aircraft are the same, i remember back in 2013 when i went to Kubinka and saw all the trash laying around and said to one officer that two weeks prior i was at RAF / USAF Lakenheath and every where was clinically clean, he just came back to me and said our machines are built for war not too look good and in war it doesn't matter if your airfield is clean or not because war will be a big mess.

hate to say it but he has a point

and the man who said Quantity has a quality of its own is none other than dear Vladimir Lenin.

JMSDF Soryu class submarine doesnt look to bad
Yokasuka Naval Base by Blair shaw, on Flickr

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote